Day 56.

Day 56 - Tiburon, CA

Run - Dipsea Trail, CA

From the eyes of Nico

This morning, I woke up feeling a bit reflective, slightly sad that the trip was coming to a close. Luckily, my team was there for me, replacing any sort of sad feelings with relief that we are almost done in a matter of minutes.

It all started when we were sitting in the car waiting for Charlie. Like normal, he began his 10-minute coffee-making process roughly 3 minutes before our scheduled departure. Knowing that we would not have a real place to park at the beginning of the trail today, I ask Bailee to get our shoes down from the box on the roof in an effort to limit our exposure to the traffic that would be speeding by us when we get to the trail. Unfortunately, after 55 days on the road, she still fails to open the rocket box. After trying each of the four keys three or four times, she gives up and hands the key ring to Charlie, who has finally emerged from the house. He quickly inserts the key, turns the lock, and pops open the rocket box.

“Ooooooooooh…Whoops. I was turning the key the other way…”

Bailee proceeds to pull the shoes out, everybody gets buckled up, and we drive off. At this point, we are only 9 minutes behind schedule, which, by our standards, really is not bad at all. However, let me say that the emphasis in that last sentence is on “At this point”.

As we reach the bottom of the hill our host’s home is on, I hear a “Nico?” from the backseat: “Can we turn around? I forgot my wallet and sort of need it to drive when I drop you guys.”

Annoyed, I glance at Sadie in the backseat before pulling a U-ey and racing back up the hill. By the time we reach the house, Charlie has realized that we forgot the GoPro in his backpack, so he and Sadie jump out and run inside to grab their things. They are halfway back to the car when Charlie breaks down laughing, pointing at the roof: “Ummmm, Bailee. I think you forgot something.”

Bailee leans out her window, glances skyward, and lets out her second “Whoops” of the morning. She hops out of the car and reaches up, asking for Sadie and Charlie’s help to close the rocket box that somebody had forgotten to close. I watch them struggle for a few moments before putting the car in park and hopping out to help. Between the four of us, we manage to wrestle the thing closed, and once again we are on our way, stopping only to get gas and to pick up a pair of my shoes that had flown out of the top halfway down the hill.


But, from there on out, everything was wonderful and smooth. Sadie dropped us at the head of the Dipsea trail and off we ran. Now, a note about the Dipsea trail: this thing is all sorts of famous in the running community. They hold one of the most difficult races every year, and it is just absolutely gorgeous. Since we first conceived of this trip, this was the run I was most excited for, and that excitement was a big part of why we are finishing this journey in California. I can happily say that the trail, the experience, completely blew my lofty expectations out of the water. And, I can sadly say, that I will not be describing that experience in detail here because I am not yet a talented enough writer to do it justice. Maybe someday. All I will say is that it involved large amounts of fog, alternating segments of forest and open fields of scrubby bushes, wild turkeys and quail, incredibly steep grades, and the most perfect final mile of descent.

After a running pilgrimage, the only way to adequately end my day was with a beer pilgrimage. Russian River Brewery is based in Santa Rosa, California, and is famous for what are two of the best beers in the world, Pliny the Elder (a double IPA) and Pliny the Younger (a triple IPA). Pliny the Younger is legendary in that you can only get in on tap at the brewpub for two weeks a year, causing lines that can be over eight hours long. Pliny the Elder, however, is available year-round, making it the only possible choice of beverage after Charlie and my fifty-minute drive. Add to that some pizza and hot wings, and my stomach and taste buds left the bar happy, satisfied, and ready to enjoy the seven hour drive down the 1 and the 101 to LA tomorrow.

And, since I will be driving that first part, it is time for me to say goodnight. Bye bye.


Stats/facts of the day:

Miles driven: 152

Miles run: 18.9

Elevation gained (feet): 4282

Wild turkey spotted: 9

California Alzheimer's deaths, 2013: 11891