Day 55.

Day 55 - South Lake Tahoe, CA, to Tiburon, CA

Run - Van Sickle Bi-State Park, South Lake Tahoe, CA/NV

From the eyes of Bailee

Lake Tahoe is a magical place to run. I woke up around 5:45am and took a leisurely time getting dressed, stretching, and drinking tons of water. I had the feeling the trails would play that familiar siren song once I was on them and try to convince me to go farther than I should. I left around 6:45am from the house. The temperature was perfect, a cool 47༠(my ideal running temperature usually). It was less than a mile down the road to the Van Sickle Bi-State Park and the real start of the run. I got on the trail from the lower entrance/parking lot, which unfortunately was not the trail I had planned to start on. Luckily, the trail connected to the main Van Sickle trail, so there was no real downside to jumping on the dirt early. From the start, the trail crawled leisurely uphill. It wound upwards and passed a waterfall early on. The trail was smooth dirt with a few rocks thrown in occasionally for spice. I hit the Rim Trail sign around five miles in and wound up at a short lookout point to take in the view. From there, I decided to head right on the Rim Trail where it split. The right fork seemed to continue up while the left fork seemed to slope downwards and the golden rule of trail running is the correct path is always up. I checked my watch to see how I was doing on time and decided to run for an hour and a half before turning. That gave me a little bit of time on the rim trail before I had to turn and head back. The actual trail was much flatter than the original connector. There were a couple of flat sections, a few short downhills, and a lot more climbing. When I reached an hour and a half, I realized how tired I was already and stopped long enough to eat half of an Evo Hemp bar and drink some water. Running back, I really noticed how tired I was. My curiosity and love of the trail had pushed me to go farther than I originally planned to and as a result, my legs felt dead. I ended up texting the rest of the road trip team when I had reached the Van Sickle connector to see if anyone was willing to come pick me up from the trailhead so I didn’t have to run the last mile uphill on asphalt. Luckily for me, Nico agreed. Unfortunately, he arrived at the parking lot when I was still almost two miles away from finishing. I saw his text when I stopped at a small overlook to take a picture of the city. I powered down the last bit of downhill and let the trail and gravity pull me. I finished on the Van Sickle trail, the way I originally should have started, but continued on to the original parking lot where I’d jumped on the trail. This meant that I missed Nico. Thankfully, he’s a good friend and drove down from the upper lot to meet me. It was an amazing trail and I hope someday I can return and run the whole 135 mile trail.

Post-run, the crew packed up and hopped in the car to head to Tiburon, California. We stopped for lunch at a Mexican place with a salsa bar before continuing on our way. Once we arrived, we unpacked quickly and settled in. Our host, Jill, told us she had to drop her husband’s Tesla at the dealership to be repaired. Her husband had accidently cracked the sunroof by dropping his mountain bike on it. Charlie and I agreed to drive the Tesla out to the dealership so that we could leave it there and she could drive us back. Charlie drove, and I sat shotgun. It took a couple of minutes to figure out the controls, but once we did we flew down the roads. It was amazing how quickly the car could reach 45 mph from 0 and slow down to a complete stop. We arrived at the dealership to find out that they weren’t able to fix the car that day. On the bright side, this meant that Charlie and I got to drive all the way back to the house.

Shortly after we got back, we departed for dinner. It’s Sadie’s birthday today so we decided to go get sushi. After finding out the first sushi place had almost an hour and a half long wait, we decided to go to a different place. But first, we made a quick detour to see the Marin Headlands. The Marin Headlands consisted of a long road up a mountain with sweeping views of the bay and a breathtaking view of the Golden Gate Bridge. After taking a couple of pictures, we headed to dinner. We gorged on sushi and are now headed to bed. Tomorrow marks our last official run of the trip. After that, we just have our closing event with Goodr in LA. It’s crazy to think this adventure is already almost over. It seems like not that long ago we were just driving through New York and Washington D.C.

Well, I’d better head to bed because I’m exhausted. Hope you all enjoyed listening to our podcast, and if you haven’t go check out the link on our Facebook! Until next time.

Stats/facts of the day:

Miles driven: 201

Miles run: 27.3

Elevation gained (feet): 3438

Chuck's excitement at getting to drive a Tesla: 219/10

Cause of death rank of Alzheimer's in California: 5th